Gin served Kiwi Style

Gin is a strange old drink.

Flavoured with the Juniper berry - and often many other botanicals (the more the botanicals the more the $$$).

They say Gin is a depressant though - personally Gin cheers me up.

I did have a girl friend years ago - who said gin made her cry - and that she was a "gin girl" - but I think mostly she cried because she came from Invercargill - or perhaps it was my company?

For a classic kiwi take on Gin - why not try a Gin and Lemon & Paeroa - some like it -  it is a little too sweet for me.

Much has been written about the perfect Gin - to me it must be ice cold.

Here are the steps I take:

  • Use Schweppes soda in the 330 ml glass bottle - make sure the soda is as ice cold as possible without freezing - and gently poor it please!;
  • I chill the gin slightly - definitely it is not to be room temperature - but too cold and it starts to get a syrupy feel - which does not mix well;
  • The ice cube must be from filtered water - something about Ice really enhances the taste of nasties such as chlorine;
  • I even slightly chill the lemon wedges - but not too much as they start to dry out;
  • I use a heavy glass tumbler - that must be diamond clean - and again I chill the glass.

Follow these rules... and you have a perfect summer drink. How can that be depressing?

My favourite Gin is Bombay Sapphire.

I have tried South Gin made by the 42below crowd - however - its flavours seem dull to me - even though they use innovative ingredients such as Kawakawa.

The bottle is fantastic though.







Comments